|Chair:||Linda Chen and Kari Johnson space|
|Location:||UMKC, Grant Hall; Room TBA|
||April 29, 2017|
||April 1, 2017|
The Achievement Auditions are private auditions with an adjudicator where students will perform technical requirements and repertoire. All students receive a written evaluation, certificate, ribbon and rating.
Eligibility: Students may enter at any level. Participation is not based upon year in school or years of music study. The level of the student is to be determined at the discretion of the student’s teacher — it should reflect the student’s playing ability in BOTH repertoire and technical facility.
Technique and Repertoire: Students are required to play technique and either two or three pieces and several technical requirements (please refer to the syllabus and the technical samples on the links below).
Fee: $20 per student with no teacher fees for KCMTA members
$35 per student plus $25 teacher fee for members of MTNA
$35 per student plus $75 teacher fee with no MTNA membership
Enrollment: Enrollment will be online only by following this link Achievement Audition Enrollment Form through Google Forms. with checks mailed in to Linda Chen (address will be included in the Google Enrollment Form). No enrollment will be accepted after April 1, 2017. There will be no exceptions to this deadline. All teachers who enroll students will be assigned to help with the event.
- All music should be memorized.
- Original copies with numbered measures should be provided to the adjudicator.
- Audition times listed are maximum time allowed for each audition. Shorter exams are permitted. For timing and scheduling purposes, students will be stopped during their audition if their maximum time has been reached for their level.
- Level chosen should reflect the student’s playing ability in BOTH repertoire and technical facility.
- All of the technique will be heard. A metronome is optional at the student’s discretion. Metronome markings are suggested practicing speeds and should be considered minimum tempo for the exam. Students may play faster, however, all technique played at a chosen faster tempo MUST be steady.
- Octave placement for technical portion of the audition is at the discretion of the student.
- Pauses may be taken between each exercise (i.e., students need not go straight from one scale to the next activity)
- For consistency, please refer to the samples on how the technique should be presented.