|Chair:||Linda Chen space|
|Locations:||Auditions at Shining Light Music
Recital at Schmitt Music
||Auditions: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, May 4, 2019
Honors Recital: 12:30 p.m. Sunday, May 5, 2019
||Opens March 1, 2019-April 13, 2019.(Enrollment link below not active until March 1.|
The Achievement Auditions are private auditions with an adjudicator where students will perform technical requirements and repertoire. All students receive a written evaluation, certificate, ribbon and rating.
Eligibility: Students may enter at any level. Participation is not based upon year in school or years of music study. The level of the student is to be determined at the discretion of the student’s teacher — it should reflect the student’s playing ability in BOTH repertoire and technical facility.
Technique and Repertoire: Students are required to play technique and either two or three pieces and several technical requirements (please refer to the syllabus and the technical samples on the links below).
Fee: $20 per student with no teacher fees for KCMTA members
$35 per student plus $25 teacher fee for members of MTNA
$35 per student plus $75 teacher fee with no MTNA membership
Enrollment: Enrollment will be online only through Google Forms by following this link Achievement Audition Enrollment Form (this link will not be active until March 1) with checks mailed in to Linda Chen (address will be included at the end of the Google Enrollment Form). Once all spaces have been filled, the above link will be deactivated and will not be able to process any more enrollments. All teachers who enroll students will be assigned to help with the event.
- All music must be memorized.
- Original copies with numbered measures should be provided to the adjudicator.
- Audition times listed are maximum time allowed for each audition. Shorter exams are permitted. For timing and scheduling purposes, students will be stopped during their audition if their maximum time has been reached for their level.
- Level chosen should reflect the student’s playing ability in BOTH repertoire and technical facility.
- All of the technique will be heard and should be presented in an efficient manner (no longer than 1/3 of the total audition time; technique that is not properly prepared could jeopardize the student’s overall rating). A metronome is optional at the student’s discretion. Metronome markings are suggested practicing speeds and should be considered minimum tempo for the exam. Students may play faster, however, all technique played at a chosen faster tempo MUST be steady.
- Octave placement for technical portion of the audition is at the discretion of the student.
- Pauses may be taken between each exercise (i.e., students need not go straight from one scale to the next activity)
- For consistency, please refer to the samples on how the technique should be presented.
- Honors Recital: Notable performers (selected by the judge) will be announced (and their teachers notified) by the end of Saturday to participate in the Honors Recital which is to be held the following day, Sunday at Schmitt Music @ 12:30 pm.